Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Read Across America

This is probably my favorite Dr. Seuss board of all! I think I like this one best because it can be put on a door and features all the children in your class, so everyone is in on the fun! Here's what you need...
  • PAC57038 - Red 48"x12' Fadeless Paper
  • EU847639 - Giant Cat In The Hat BBS
  • EU841300 - The Cat's Hat Cut Outs
  • PAC53871E - Light Blue Premium Posterboard
  • EU847215 - Dr. Seuss Upper and Lowercase Punch Out Letters
For the background:
I used the back side of some old straight border to create the white stripes. Any kind will do as long as it's the same width. The cheapest thing to do is save those random single pieces that always end up in the garbage and recycle them instead! I tacked up a piece of trimmer in between each line that I removed at the end, just to make sure that my lines stayed straight and the spacing was even.

For the kids:
I cutout the pictures of the children and then cut a slit in the bottom of the hat using an exacto knife. Then I slipped them onto the child's head and taped the back side. After that I mounted them all on black construction paper and cut them out leaving a small edge, this allows them to show up better on such a busy background. I then wrote the children's names on the hats in sharpie.

Finally, I put the letters on the posterboard so they would show up as well. Read Across America is a great program and I hope to continue to create more displays to promote it in the future!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah!

    We stumbled across your bulletin board design for Read Across America and loved it so much that we featured it as part of our Dr. Seuss showcase at our blog, Bulletin Board Ideas!

    You can find the full feature here:
    http://bulletinboardideas.org/3439/the-best-of-dr-seuss-part-1/

    We were sure to give idea/photo credit, as well as a link back to your blog, but we'd love for you to take a look at it. If there are any problems, we'll be sure to take down the feature immediately!

    Thanks so much,
    Kayla Johnson

    ReplyDelete